Date(s) - 21/01/2021 - 31/01/2021
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Welcome to the course that changes lives!
All consultation are included in the cost of this course + manuals + hundreds of resources.
Testimonial: “Can I just say again how grateful I am for the incredible foundational training you gave me? 90% of my practice is EMDR now and I’m confident in what I’m doing because I know that you taught it to me the way it’s supposed to be done. I see and hear some stuff online that really makes me shake my head. I’m glad I learned from a “purist”, if that’s what it would be called. I follow the protocol exactly how you taught us and demonstrated to us and man, does it work. 🙂 Anyway, I’m very thankful!” Former Trainee email received Oct. 2020
“Thank you for bringing EMDR to my practice. I am finding it is a game-changer with clients.” Dec. 2020
Online Course Program:
Day 1: Pre Study Course: access 1 month before training.
Meet & Greet Optional Day – January 21st 9-12pm PT
Meet the trainer in a casual setting online; meet other trainees; and test out your online Zoom computer skills while also learning EMDR virtual skills. This time is highly recommended for those trainees who are very uncomfortable with computers and need to prepare for doing a course 100% online.
Day 2: Course Introduction January 29, 9-4pm (PT)
Day 3 & 4: January 30-31, 9-5pm (PT)
Day 5, 6, 7: Feb. 25-27, 9-5pm (PT)
Day 8 & 9: April 9-10, 9-5pm (PT)
Days 1-9 will contain all practica required to complete EMDRIA Approved Basic Training.
***More practica days may be added to accommodate a larger group size.
After Days 3& 4 / Phase 1&2 – 2 Case Write ups posted to Sue’s online forum by Feb. 19th + 2 case post answers to colleague posts. Case write up guides and how to respond to others are in the manual and will be discussed in training.
4hr Group CONSULTATION April 16th 9-1pm (PT) – 4 cases write ups posted on Sue’s online forum on Phases 3-6 by March 29th & 4 + 2 case post answers to colleague posts.
3hrs Group CONSULTATION May 6th 8-11am (PT) – 2 case write up on Sue’s online forum on Phases 3-6 by April 29th & 2 answers to colleague case posts.
Option: You may opt to register for August 12th 9-12pm (ET) instead of May 6th if you want more time to practice before you have your final consult. Registration for either consult will happen once training has begun.
How would you make the decision between the two final consultation dates? Depending on the number of clients you have and how much time you would like to practice before having your final consult, this can help determine which day you register for once you start the training. You are also able to arrange the 3hrs of consult time with any of my Consultant team if you prefer to choose your own time at your own cost.
Day 10-11 – Comprehensive Day Options:
April 26th, 9-4pm (Day 2) (Pacific time)
May 7, 9-4pm (Day 1) (Pacific time)
EMDRIA requires that all trainees are visually present the entire training to receive a Certificate of Completion. If you miss ANY components of the training including 15min. of a day to the entire day; etc. you will need to register for a future training at full cost to complete as you will be taking a spot away from someone else who could have attended that training.
This training from start to finish must be complete within one year from the starting date.
Why take a training broken up over time? This course is designed to enhance your learning and integration of the material. Learning the content over time allows you to practice each component with clients versus learning all the content in 5 days and being launched into the world without follow up. My trainees have found this model best for integrating the EMDR Basic Training content. Additionally, learning or counselling online can be fatiguing and thus spanning the content over time reduces fatigue and increases learning integration.
Canadian EMDRIA Instructor:
Sue Genest, BA Hons., MSc. CCC. RCC. is a certified EMDR therapist, EMDRIA Approved Consultant and EMDR Training Provider. She has been working in health care for over 33 years; 18 + years in Somatic Therapy; and 17 years in EMDR. She has also worked online with clients and consultees for ten years.
She has specialized in trauma work using EMDR, Hakomi body psychotherapy, and various methods to address the whole person (Ego State Therapy; Many EMDR Advanced trainings; CBT, DBT, Narrative, Solution Focused, Sensoritmotor, Theraplay, etc. + Shamanism, Indigenous teachings, Mindfulness, etc.). She works with individuals and groups addressing trauma (e.g. abuse, car accidents), addictions, grief, anxiety, stress, depression, self-esteem, health, and relationship issues. She has worked with the following populations: individuals struggling with various mental health issues (e.g. PTSD, Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia), individuals with varying disabilities; minorities (e.g. Aboriginal, LGBTQ2SI+, immigrants), correctional offenders (e.g. Childhood trauma, personality disorders, military trauma); cancer patients, general public, student populations, and corporate professionals (E.g. EnCana, Enmax).
She is a Canadian Certified Counsellor and Registered Clinical Counsellor in BC. She graduated from The University of Calgary with her 1st class Honors BA in Psychology and her Master of Science degree in Counselling Psychology. She has won numerous awards for her academic work and taught several classes at Universities including counselling skills, lifespan development; mind/body/spirit medicine; qualitative research; and sexuality. She has publications and presentations in the area of counselling, EMDR, pediatrics, qualitative research, and sexuality.
Sue teaches EMDR Basic trainings across Canada and EMDR Advanced around the world.
EMDR Advanced trainings: EMDR Refresher; EMDR & Mind Mapping: Making the Complex Simple; EMDR Common Stuck Points; EMDR Addictions Goal State & Sue’s FSAP; EMDR And Somatic Therapy; Mastering the Float Back; and Sue’s BookEnd Protocol ©
Online Course Program Content:
Day 1: Pre – Study
The online pre-study course link will be sent to you after you have registered and paid for the course.
Pre-Study 1: Trauma Informed Care
Pre-Study 2: EMDR & EMDR Research
Pre-Study 3: Psychometrics & History Taking & Treatment Planning
Pre-Study 4: EMDR Resources
Pre-Study 5: Resources for Client Self-Regulation
Pre Study 6: Setting up for Virtual training and practica
Pre-Study 7: EMDR Cultural Competence & Learning about Microaggressions
Day 2: Pre-Training Introduction
Introduction to the trainer.
Overview of the training; pre-study; online forum resources; consultation needed
How to prepare your clients for EMDR; and
Introduction to EMDR.
Days 3 – 9: 8 Phases +
8 Phases of EMDR including float-back
Theoretical explanations for EMDR; accelerated information processing; alternate explanations
Understand legal and ethical considerations in the use of EMDR
Psychology of trauma; diagnosis of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder; Signs of Complex Trauma and Dissociative Disorders
History Taking and Psychometrics
Treatment planning & Case Conceptualization
Preparation of Clients for trauma processing: self-soothing, shifting state, and affect acceptance strategies
Effective and Safe EMDR work
Blocking Strategies & Cognitive / Somatic Interweaves
Common Stuck Points of EMDR Practitioners
Introduction to EMDR with Complex Trauma e.g. titration, advanced trainings, etc.
Adapting EMDR for Special Populations: Children, self-use, couples, illness & dying, grief, victims of crime & accidents, pain, phobia.
Specialty Protocols: Reverse & Recent Events protocols; DeTUR Addictions protocol
Practica & Consultation
Included in the above days (5-9) + consultation dates listed above
Course Options & Costs:
Regular NOW 9+ days (was 5.5) Intensive. Includes 10+hrs of consultation.
Comprehensive NOW 11+ days (was 7.5) Intensive includes 2 Comprehensive Bonus days
This course is in Eastern time & Canadian dollars $2498 and early bird pricing of $2398 = approx. $1599 US for 9 days of training + all Consultation.
Comprehensive Course with 2 extra days is $2698.00 Cdn. which includes extra protocols, consultation, and review and practice of course material.
Included in your fees:
+ Pre-Study Course Material 10-20 + hours of material
+ Pre-Training Introduction 4 hours
+ Thousands of Online Resources to supplement your EMDR and Clinical practice
+ 9+ day Core Training with lecture, video, demos, discussion, group work
+ 5 Practica with EMDRIA Consultant / Facilitator experts
+ 10 + hours of Online Group Consultation
$600 Non-refundable deposit applies to all payments made for this training (embedded in full payments). Balance due January 8, 2021.
Once training has started no refunds will be issued for any reason.
This training from start to finish must be complete within one year from the starting date.
Refund /Cancellation Policy:
When you register for this training you acknowledge and agree to the course policies. A $600 CAD non-refundable deposit is required for registration. This $600 non-refundable deposit can be applied to future trainings if cancellation is more than a month from the start of the training. If cancellation happens within a month of the training, then 50% refund minus the non-refundable $600 will be issued. Those not attending the training without notice will forfeit the total amount paid for the training. No refunds will be issued once the training begins, i.e. Meet n Greet date. All course components must be attended in full to meet EMDRIA standards. To not attend any part of the training, will nullify the certificate of completion and will be at the cost of the trainee to take the training at another scheduled time. All other situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
All diversity of humanity is welcome in this training. Discrimination, racism, oppression, harassment, or any other disruption or unprofessional behavior will not be tolerated. If you experience any of these situations in the training, please contact Sue Genest immediately.
Grievances and any concerns related to the course, safety, and participation can be directed to Sue Genest, Course trainer at which time she will address your concern directly.
Important Notes on PRACTICA and Training Content:
As this training deals with basic training content of EMDR keep in mind:
1) You will need clients to practice what you are learning. You need clientele who are NOT dealing with complex trauma and dissociation. If you do not have clients, you will be unable to complete the training. Consider contacting an EMDR therapist in your area to arrange for pro bono or sliding fee scale of non-complex clients to practice. We are very fortunate in the EMDR community to be able to take all kinds of advanced trainings on how to use EMDR with complex cases and specialty populations once done the basic training. An introduction to this material will be provided in the training. Think of it like taking your first hypnosis course… you wouldn’t expect to practice your new skills on the most complex of cases in your practice. EMDR is a very different skill set than what you might be used to, so be sure you have clients you can practice with. I would suggest at least 10 + clients for the best integration of material and 8 as the minimum to complete consultation. Of course, the more you practice the better your integration of the material.
2) Some of the content of the course and practica can be triggering to clinicians with unresolved childhood trauma; dissociative disorders, and those who have never done counselling before esp. EMDR. You will find it really helpful for your learning to seek out an EMDR therapist in your area to try out a few sessions to see what it is like. It will be imperative you can self-regulate in practica, i.e. shift states, self sooth, and have affect acceptance (know how to work with your own emotions in positive ways). You might consider some of my team to support your learning and personal development. We know as EMDR experts that doing our own personal work advances our attunement, integration of material, and artfulness using EMDR with our clients.
This is a comprehensive training that will require your focus and time to practice between sessions.
Some important and helpful ways to take care of yourself and enhance your learning are:
- Ensure you have at least one day off after the training.
- Keep your evenings free to relax and rest after each training day.
- Set up your online environment to be relaxing and comfortable.
- Ensure you are not going to be interrupted during the training as you are required to attend all sections of the training to complete. In other words, make sure you have child and animal care as to not have to deal with interruptions. To not do so may risk the completion of your training.
- You are required by EMDRIA to attend all portions of the training and to have your video live during the whole training to get credit and receive a certificate of completion.
- Be sure to practice free Skype or Zoom platforms to ensure your computer will work for an online training.
- To lesson disconnections – clear your computer caches and history in your browser. Be sure your computer is updated and consider completely powering it off the night before. Completely powering off your modem once in awhile also helps. Each of these steps will lesson disconnection. You may also consider connecting your computer directly to your modem with an ethernet chord if your wifi is shared with others or is not strong.
- Use a comfortable head set so that it improves audio for practica and to hear content during the training.
- Eat well and hydrate during the training. Be sure to take time every 20min. to look away from the computer screen to care for your eyes.
- Consider having a yoga mat for break time or going for a short walk to rest your eyes and allow movement of your body. Blue light can be hard on the eyes so consider blue light glasses or screen cover for the training.
- Have some fiddle objects or grounding objects available if you know it will help you stay attuned during the online lecture components of the training. For e.g. heavy blanket, squeeze ball, paper and pen to write notes and doodle, etc. all to increase concentration and integration of the material you will be learning.
In order to create a therapeutic environment for others in practica and for your self, consider these tips:
– respect, kindness, empathy are required in training practica in the same way you would expect in therapy. Respect for your colleagues, facilitators, and trainer are required. To do otherwise will risk the completion of your training. Those who are discriminatory or disruptive will be asked to leave the training without refund. All diversity of humanity is welcome in this training.
– don’t sit in front of a window or have lighting behind you as it will create a silhouette and others will be unable to see you. During practica your presence visually is needed to create attunement and a therapeutic environment. Instead, have lighting on your face. Choose lighting that is soft on the eyes.
– sit in a comfortable chair with your computer on a desk raised to eye level to lesson fatigue and care for your back. Consider a foot stool to create a 90 degree angle for your legs to lesson back strain. Talk to a physician or physiotherapist about ergonomic options for sitting at the computer for long hours for training and working with clients online.
Get prior support from supervisors and/or agencies to practice EMDR therapy between sessions.
Start preparing your clients for EMDR by teaching them self regulation skills; how to shift states, how to self sooth, and affect acceptance and being with emotion. Time spent building these skills will allow you to deepen into your own learning of EMDR with clients and start reprocessing sooner. If you need to expand your skills in this area to teach clients, consider using a DBT exercise book for ideas.
Put time aside before training to complete the Pre Study. It is essential that you understand trauma and dissociation to apply EMDR and have basic clinical skills such as using a wide variety of history taking approaches and psychometrics for determining if your client has experienced complex trauma and has a dissociative structure.
Put time aside between sessions to practice EMDR and to complete the consultation portion of your training.
Bookings are closed for this event.