Date(s) - 09/09/2021 - 04/02/2022
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Welcome to the course that changes lives!
Early Bird Date: June 30, 2021
All consultation is included in the cost of this course + manuals + hundreds of resources.
This course is scheduled in Central time.
“Thank you for bringing EMDR to my practice. I am finding it is a game-changer with clients.” Dec. 2020
“Thanks, Sue for a wonderful day of learning. I’m very thankful to have taken this course immediately after basic training so that I can be effective in my work with clients.” January 2021
- Appreciated how approachable you are. Your encouragement and continual check ins made it possible for me to ask questions.
- You seem to anticipate what questions/stuck points we might have at certain points in the training and mentioned some possible questions and this normalized the learning and prompted some questions for me and others
- I appreciate the repeat messaging about trusting the system but also the importance of strong clinical skills and knowledge and experience and decision making
- Strengths based respectful discussions of people and their concerns
- Great handouts. You are very generous with materials.”
“Sue herself is a master at EMDR and holding space for the client. Her teaching is practical, relevant, and well thought out.” January 2021
Online Course Program:
Meet & Greet Optional Day – Sept. 9, 9-12pm Pacific Time
Meet the trainer in a casual setting online; meet other trainees; and test out your online Zoom computer skills while also learning EMDR virtual skills. This time is highly recommended for those trainees who are very uncomfortable with computers and need to prepare for doing a course 100% online.
Day 1: Pre Study Course: access 1 month before training.
Day 2: EMDR Course Introduction – Sept 23, 9-4pm PT
Day 3 & 4: Oct 21-22, 9-5pm PT
Day 5, 6, 7: Nov. 17-19, 9-5pm PT / Practica in afternoons
Day 8 & 9: Dec. 15-16, 9-5pm PT/ Practica & 3hr Consultation in afternoons
Mandatory Consultation Days: Dec. 16th afternoon 3hrs (2-5pm PT); January 14th 4hr consult (9-1pm PT); February 4th 3hr consult (9-12pm PT) + Extra Bonus Consultation can be sought from Sue’s online forum with her team of experts.
Online CONSULTATION Days:
After Days 2,3,4 (Sept 23 – Oct 22)/ Phase 1&2 – 2 Case Write ups on Phases 1 & 2 posted to Sue’s online forum by November 10th + 2 post answers to colleagues posts. Sue’s Facilitator team will respond online to cases along with your training colleagues. Case write up guides and how to respond to others are in the manual and will be discussed in training.
After Days 5,6,7 (Nov 17-19)/ Phase 3-6 – 2 Case Write ups on Phases 3-6 to be posted to Sue’s online forum by Dec.8 + 2 post answers to colleagues posts. Cases will be discussed Dec. 16th afternoon and Jan. 14th. Case write up guides and how to respond to others are in the manual and will be discussed in training.
After Days 8,9 (Dec 15-16)/ Special Populations – 2 Case Write ups on Phases 3-6 and/or Special populations to be posted to Sue’s online forum by Jan. 7th + 2 post answers to colleagues posts. Cases will be discussed in January 14th 4hr consultation. Case write up guides and how to respond to others are in the manual and will be discussed in training.
4hr Group CONSULTATION January 14th 9-1pm (PT) – 2 cases write ups posted on Sue’s online forum – as above mentioned – on Phases 3-6 by January 7th + 2 answers to colleagues posts.
After January 14th Consult – 2 Case Write ups on Phases 3-6 and/or Special populations to be posted to Sue’s online forum by January 28th + 2 post answers to colleagues posts. Cases will be discussed in February 4th 3hrs consultation. Case write up guides and how to respond to others are in the manual and will be discussed in training.
3hrs Group CONSULTATION February 4th 9-12pm (PT) – 2 case write up on Sue’s online forum on Phases 3-6 by December 10th – as noted above – + 2 answers to colleagues posts.
Days 1-9 will contain all practica required to complete EMDRIA Approved Basic Training.
Day 10-11: Comprehensive Days:
February 25th, 9-4pm (Day 1) (Central time)
March 25th 9-4pm (Day 2) (Central time)
***More practica days may be added to accommodate a larger group size.
EMDRIA requires that all trainees are visually present the entire training to receive a Certificate of Completion. If you miss ANY components of the training including 15min. of a day to the entire day; etc. you will need to register for a future training at full cost to complete as you will be taking a spot away from someone else who could have attended that training.
This training from start to finish must be complete within one year from the starting date.
Why take a training broken up over time? This course is designed to enhance your learning and integration of the material. Learning the content over time allows you to practice each component with clients versus learning all the content in 5 days and being launched into the world without follow up. My trainees have found this model best for integrating the EMDR Basic Training content. Additionally, learning or counselling online can be fatiguing and thus spanning the content over time reduces fatigue and increases learning integration.
Canadian EMDRIA Instructor:
Sue Genest, BA Hons., MSc. CCC. RCC. is a certified EMDR therapist, EMDRIA Approved Consultant and EMDR Training Provider. She has been working in health care for over 33 years; 18 + years in Somatic Therapy; and 17 years in EMDR. She has also worked online with clients and consultees for ten years.
She has specialized in trauma work using EMDR, Hakomi body psychotherapy, and various methods to address the whole person (Ego State Therapy; Many EMDR Advanced trainings; CBT, DBT, Narrative, Solution Focused, Sensoritmotor, Theraplay, etc. + Shamanism, Indigenous teachings, Mindfulness, etc.). She works with individuals and groups addressing trauma (e.g. abuse, car accidents), addictions, grief, anxiety, stress, depression, self-esteem, health, and relationship issues. She has worked with the following populations: individuals struggling with various mental health issues (e.g. PTSD, Depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia), individuals with varying disabilities; minorities (e.g. Aboriginal, LGBTQ2SI+, immigrants), correctional offenders (e.g. Childhood trauma, personality disorders, military trauma); cancer patients, general public, student populations, and corporate professionals (E.g. EnCana, Enmax).
She is a Canadian Certified Counsellor and Registered Clinical Counsellor in BC. She graduated from The University of Calgary with her 1st class Honors BA in Psychology and her Master of Science degree in Counselling Psychology. She has won numerous awards for her academic work and taught several classes at Universities including counselling skills, lifespan development; mind/body/spirit medicine; qualitative research; and sexuality. She has publications and presentations in the area of counselling, EMDR, pediatrics, qualitative research, and sexuality.
Sue teaches EMDR Basic trainings across Canada and EMDR Advanced around the world.
EMDR Advanced trainings: EMDR Refresher; EMDR & Mind Mapping: Making the Complex Simple; EMDR Common Stuck Points; EMDR Addictions Goal State & Sue’s FSAP; EMDR And Somatic Therapy; Mastering the Float Back; and Sue’s BookEnd Protocol ©
Online Course Program Content:
Day 1: Pre – Study
The online pre study course link will be sent to you after you have registered and paid for the course.
Pre-Study 1: Trauma Informed Care
Pre-Study 2: EMDR & EMDR Research
Pre-Study 3: Psychometrics & History Taking & Treatment Planning
Pre-Study 4: EMDR Resources
Pre-Study 5: Resources for Client Self-Regulation
Pre Study 6: Setting up for Virtual training and practica
Pre-Study 7: EMDR Cultural Competence & Learning about Microaggressions
Day 2: Pre-Training Introduction
Introduction to the trainer.
Overview of the training; pre-study; online forum resources; consultation needed
How to prepare your clients for EMDR; and
Introduction to EMDR.
Days 3 – 9: 8 Phases +
8 Phases of EMDR including floatback
Theoretical explanations for EMDR; accelerated information processing; alternate explanations
Understand legal and ethical considerations in the use of EMDR
Psychology of trauma; diagnosis of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder; Signs of Complex Trauma and Dissociative Disorders
History Taking and Psychometrics
Treatment planning & Case Conceptualization
Preparation of Clients for trauma processing: self-soothing, shifting state, and affect acceptance strategies
Effective and Safe EMDR work
Blocking Strategies & Cognitive / Somatic Interweaves
Common Stuck Points of EMDR Practitioners
Introduction to EMDR with Complex Trauma e.g. titration, advanced trainings, etc.
Adapting EMDR for Special Populations: Children, self-use, couples, illness & dying, grief, victims of crime & accidents, pain, phobia.
Specialty Protocols: Reverse & Recent Events protocols; DeTUR Addictions protocol
Practica & Consultation
Included in the above days (5-9) + consultation dates listed above
Course Options & Costs:
Regular NOW 9+ days (was 5.5) Intensive. Includes 10+hrs of consultation.
Comprehensive NOW 11+ days (was 7.5) Intensive includes 2 Comprehensive Bonus days
This course is in Eastern time & Canadian dollars $2498 = approx. $1599 US for 9 days of training + all Consultation.
Comprehensive Course with 2 extra days is $2698.00 Cdn. which includes extra protocols, consultation, and review and practice of course material.
Included in your fees:
+ Pre-Study Course Material 10-20 + hours of material
+ Pre-Training Introduction 4 hours
+ Thousands of Online Resources to supplement your EMDR and Clinical practice
+ 9+ day Core Training with lecture, video, demos, discussion, group work
+ 5 Practica with EMDRIA Consultant / Facilitator experts
+ 10 + hours of Online Group Consultation
$600 Non refundable deposit applies to all payments made for this training (embedded in full payments).
Within one month of the training no refunds will be issued for any reason.
This training from start to finish must be complete within one year from the starting date.
Refund /Cancellation Policy:
When you register for this training you acknowledge and agree to the course policies. A $600 CAD non-refundable deposit is required for registration. This $600 non-refundable deposit can be applied to one future training if cancellation is more than a month from the start of the training (transfer of funds will only be allowed once). If cancellation happens within a month of the training, no refund will be issued.
All course components must be attended in full to meet EMDRIA standards. To not attend any part of the training, will nullify the certificate of completion and will be at the cost of the trainee to take the training at another scheduled time. All other situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
All diversity of humanity is welcome in this training. Discrimination, racism, oppression, harassment, or any other disruption or unprofessional behavior will not be tolerated. If you experience any of these situations in the training, please contact Sue Genest immediately.
Grievances and any concerns related to the course, safety, and participation can be directed to Sue Genest, Course trainer at which time she will address your concern directly.
Important Notes on PRACTICA and Training Content:
As this training deals with basic training content of EMDR keep these things in mind:
1) You will need clients to practice what you are learning. You need clientele who are NOT dealing with complex trauma and dissociation. If you do not have clients, you will be unable to complete the training. Consider contacting an EMDR therapist in your area to arrange for pro bono or sliding fee scale of non complex clients to practice. We are very fortunate in the EMDR community to be able to take all kinds of advanced trainings on how to use EMDR with complex cases and specialty populations once done the basic training. An introduction to this material will be provided in the training. Think of it like taking your first hypnosis course… you wouldn’t expect to practice your new skills on the most complex of cases in your practice. EMDR is a very different skill set than what you might be used to, so be sure you have clients you can practice with. I would suggest at least 10 + clients for the best integration of material and 8 as the minimum to complete consultation. Of course, the more you practice the better your integration of the material.
2) Some of the content of the course and practica can be triggering to clinicians with unresolved childhood trauma; dissociative disorders, and those who have never done counselling before esp. EMDR. You will find it really helpful for your learning to seek out an EMDR therapist in your area to try out a few sessions to see what it is like. It will be imperative you can self-regulate in practica, i.e. shift states, self sooth, and have affect acceptance (know how to work with your own emotions in positive ways). You might consider some of my team to support your learning and personal development. We know as EMDR experts that doing our own personal work advances our attunement, integration of material, and artfulness using EMDR with our clients.
This is a comprehensive training that will require your focus and time to practice between sessions.
In order to create a therapeutic environment for others in practica and for your self, consider these tips:
– respect, kindness, empathy are required in training practica in the same way you would expect in therapy. Respect for your colleagues, facilitators, and trainer are required. To do otherwise will risk the completion of your training. Those who are discriminatory or disruptive will be asked to leave the training without refund. All diversity of humanity is welcome in this training.
– Get prior support from supervisors and/or agencies to practice EMDR therapy between sessions.
– Start preparing your clients for EMDR by teaching them self regulation skills; how to shift states, how to self sooth, and affect acceptance and being with emotion. Time spent building these skills will allow you to deepen into your own learning of EMDR with clients and start reprocessing sooner. If you need to expand your skills in this area to teach clients, consider using a DBT exercise book for ideas.
– Put time aside before training to complete the Pre Study. It is essential that you understand trauma and dissociation to apply EMDR and have basic clinical skills such as using a wide variety of history taking approaches and psychometrics for determining if your client has experienced complex trauma and has a dissociative structure.
– Put time aside between training sessions to practice EMDR and to complete the consultation portion of your training.
I look forward to meeting you at the Online LIVE EMDR Basic Training. The Meet n Greet to casually get to know your instructor and colleagues while also learning how to work with bilateral stimulation online via zoom will be covered. Zoom Link will be in your Auto email after registration.