What are the advantages to Online Counselling?
Telemental health has gone mainstream. Also referred to as “telebehavioural health,” “e-counselling,” “e-therapy,” “online therapy,” “cybercounselling,” or “online counselling.”
Telemental health is the provision of remote mental health care services (using modalities including videoconferencing, computer programs, and mobile applications) by a variety of different mental health providers, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, counsellors, and marriage and family therapists.
What are the advantages:
- Telemental health services have been accepted by a large (and growing) number of payers as a legitimate use for telehealth, more so than other telehealth disciplines.
- May reduce anxiety or a sense of stigma because you are not required to go into a counselling office or mental health facility.
- For clients who find mobility difficult due to physical limitations, access to a vehicle, weather conditions, or mental health difficulties such as phobias, etc., they may connect to a therapist without leaving their home.
- It reduces the time for therapy by eliminating travel time to and from appointments which is especially helpful in busy cities.
- It widens the choice of therapists to a client e.g. if you live in a small community and know the one therapist personally and don’t want to work with them; or if you have seen a therapist and didn’t find their approach helpful or didn’t feel rapport with them; or you have a specialized need and want to access a therapist who has more skill or experience in that area; etc.
- Patients surveyed regarding their use of telemental health services have consistently stated that they believe telemental health is a credible and effective practice of medicine—studies have found little or no difference in patient satisfaction as compared with face-to-face mental health interactions.
- The link that is sent for your session can be saved in your computers calendar and a reminder set up to remind you of your up coming appointment.
NousTalk is a trusted and recommended online counselling platform. NousTalk is PHIPA compliant and secure. It offers high quality encrypted audio/video transmissions, scheduling, payments, group sessions, screen sharing, note taking and more. This means that others can not access your session with your therapist while it is happening or afterwards.
Best of all, you do not need any IT skills or external resources to connect to your therapist. You simply make sure your computer has all the latest updates for MAC or PC and you will be good to go.
If you have other questions, please feel free to contact me:
← Online Counselling